Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why Do I Volunteer

by Rich Reichenbaugh
United Way of Washington County Board Member

My parents raised me the golden rule of, 'Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you'. They also taught me to share my blessing with others in need. I have been blessed in many ways: my faith, my family, my friends and my career.


There are those who have not been as fortunate and I have always believed that if I used my passion to select a few goals, I can make a difference in a few lives.

Several years ago, a movie called Pay It Forward was released. This movie centered on a youth choosing a school project in which he would do a favor for three people, in the hopes that they would each do favors for three other people and so on. Pay it forward, not a bad concept!

I am involved with United Way because they reach out to dozens of non-profit organizations that serve thousands of people in our own community. And even though this does not meet all of the need, I volunteer because I see the need and have some ability to work with others to provide change.

Do unto others. I have had down times in my life, as well and there were people and organizations who reached out to help me. They took the time to share and care. I am proud to say that they made a significant impact on me and I hope that I will be able to repay it someone else.

Pay it forward. I have learned that it is better to be involved in only a couple of projects/issues/organizations and place more energy and passion it my efforts than to become involved in a dozen other groups. I became too spread out and did not serve any of them the way they deserved. Volunteering is not about doing what someone tells you to do or what you think is right; it is about using your passion to impact the cause. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Not another cliché; just common sense.

Volunteer to help someone you don’t know. It’s a great way to make new friends, and I promise two things: you will feel better about yourself and the community will know that you care.



No comments:

Post a Comment

33 West Franklin St., Suite 203, Hagerstown, MD 21740 | TEL 301 739 8200 | FAX 301 797 2293

Copyright 2009 United Way of Washington County MD

Site Design By High Rock Studios