Friday, May 4, 2012

An Agency Story

By Laurel Good
Associate Director
Girls, Inc.

Dreams can come true…..


In my 14 years at Girls Inc., I have had a lot of moments where I am proud to be working for an organization that empowers young women. Yesterday, I had another one of those moments.

For those of us that have been here (Girls Inc.) for a while, we have what we call “our generation” of girls. By that I mean, the girls that were here when you started working at Girls Inc. and were here until they reached their teen years and left our Girls Inc. “nest.” My proud moment was when I dropped four letters of recommendation in the mail for one of these girls to attend medical school. The quiet, soft spoken, shy girl that started coming to Girls Inc. when she was 9 is now going to medical school?? WOW! I remember the day when she sat in my office and said “Ms. Laurel, I want to be a pediatrician.”

Dreams can come true.

Like a puzzle, our lives are made up of many “pieces.” For this young lady, there were many pieces that made up her “puzzle.” Girls Inc. was just one piece; United Way was another. It was just a couple of years ago, that her mom called us to help her with her mortgage. Like a lot of people, they were struggling to make ends meet; this could have ultimately affected this young lady’s college dream. All it took was one phone call the United Way. The community rallied together to help this family in their time of need. Thank you United Way and the community, for helping us inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold! We will be proud to one day call our Girls Inc. Alum “Doctor.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

33 West Franklin St., Suite 203, Hagerstown, MD 21740 | TEL 301 739 8200 | FAX 301 797 2293

Copyright 2009 United Way of Washington County MD

Site Design By High Rock Studios