Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Hopes

I grew up in Alaska about 20 miles from a town called North Pole. North Pole, Alaska knows how to celebrate the holidays. Not only is the town decorated for Christmas all-year long, but right in the middle of town is Santa’s house complete with candy cane pillars and reindeer. I spent 20 years living in Alaska and have been asked many times if I miss it, if I’d like to go back. The answer is usually no; I don’t miss Alaska, but do miss North Pole every once in a while.

This time of year makes me wish I was in Alaska again. Not for the cold. I do love the weather in Maryland. Alaska had a way of making me feel young and alive. It’s all that fresh air, I guess. You know, the holidays do the same thing – make me feel young. While I don’t love the shopping or the crowds in December, I do love the cooler weather, the time with family and the decorations. It’s true. For me there’s nothing more exciting than a street lined with houses decorated for the holidays. It doesn’t matter how they’re decorated, either. No, for me it’s the lights, the excitement, the colors. I see a house fully decorated and I think about kids opening presents, mom baking (and eating) cookies and watching Christmas movies.

While I’ve never been much for traditions, I do love some of the traditions we have around the holidays. I love that my mother has always let me open a present on Christmas Eve. I love that my 15 year old son begs to do the same. I like the stories behind the gifts people give and get one another. There’s tradition in that. I’m 35 and I still get a make-up set from my mother – why stop after 25 years? I used to get my father Old Spice each year. That’s all he wore. He’s been gone 18 years and I still think about him every time I’m in the cologne aisle at CVS. I hope to never forget that smell.

My New Year’s Resolution this year is simple – I’m going to work on my memory. I’m going to allow myself to forget the things that are hurtful, sad or that worry me. I’m going make a promise to myself that I will never forget how much I love this time of year and the people I get (and have had the chance to) share it with.

Happy Holidays

Leah Gayman
Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

33 West Franklin St., Suite 203, Hagerstown, MD 21740 | TEL 301 739 8200 | FAX 301 797 2293

Copyright 2009 United Way of Washington County MD

Site Design By High Rock Studios