Monday, December 12, 2011

Holiday Hope

By Jenny Fleming, United Way Community Impact Director


Buttons can do amazing things. Now, I’m not talking about those on our shirts, coats and pants. I’m referring to those that are connected to an electrical machine or device - buttons on elevators, remote controls, phones and computers. I just love how technology has made my job easier. When I started working at United Way, we didn’t even have Internet access. I surely don’t miss the fax machine, which is how I sent reminders to meetings or other communications.

Technology helps to get the word out about important issues and recently assisted me to harness the caring spirit of our many supporters in the community. I had heard the director of the Department of Social Services (DSS) mention in a meeting that they had numerous families and children who had not been “adopted” to receive Christmas gifts. While direct services isn’t what United Way necessarily does, we certainly felt compelled to tell this message, especially when DSS isn’t in a position to solicit these gifts. I used another wonderful invention – Constant Contact – to inspire our 3,000+ people on our e-mail list to consider buying gifts. Ok, I can’t emphasize enough how powerful it was to hit the send button that day. Within 4 minutes, we got our first response. This was followed by another . . . . another . . . and yet another . . . and soon our phone and e-mails were being flooded. Some people who responded weren’t even on our list. The message was forwarded to friends, families, churches and organizations.

I sure wish everything was this easy! I’m incredibly glad this happened and hope that these families, in addition to enjoying the wonderful gifts they are about to receive, understand what a generous community this is. When times get tough, everyone rallies to get things done.

This compassion is so important because many of these families need some sort of hope to hold onto. They haven’t had the positive start that many of us have been afforded. Personally, I challenge myself when I hear of an overwhelming story to press yet another button “rewind.” Does this mean that I ask them about the details of their lives up to this point? No. It is just a method for me to understand it probably has been a rocky road that led them where they are today. The important part is to start from this point and move forward. This is exactly what everyone has done for the families at DSS. Many, many thanks to all of you who bought items. Let’s keep this generosity going into the New Year and make 2012 prosperous for Washington County.

No comments:

Post a Comment

33 West Franklin St., Suite 203, Hagerstown, MD 21740 | TEL 301 739 8200 | FAX 301 797 2293

Copyright 2009 United Way of Washington County MD

Site Design By High Rock Studios