Friday, November 11, 2011

A PERSONAL reflection

By Mike Harsh
United Way Board of Directors Vice-President
Professor at Hagerstown Community College


Let me tell you why I participate, donate, and volunteer for United Way of Washington County:

Washington County is my home and the home of my lovely first (only and current) wife; my beautiful daughters; handsome sons-in-law; ‘interesting’ family; tolerant friends; my absolutely incredible grandson (ask me to show you some photos); current and former cherished students; thousands of wonderful folks; and to be perfectly honest, 14 complete jerks. In plainest terms, this is a real place populated with real people, who have real needs: yes, even the jerks.

After over 35 years working as an educator and raising a family here in Washington County, I have been blessed to find my way at the local United Way. That way is the authentic American way – as authentic as hog maw, Krumpe’s donuts, steamed crabs, and Superior Dairy ice cream.

Education, good health, a safe place to live and a decent job are the key elements for the American Dream. These are the realities I help pursue through the United Way. Not giving out, or handing out, or passing out, but reaching out with an open hand and heart to my neighbors who can use some temporary assistance in achieving that dream. The United Way is the American way; we help each other discover the strength and resolve to work harder ourselves to achieve that dream.

United Way is not a ‘liberal’ give away, it is a radical process that empowers us all to achieve our potential.

When we Live United and give of our time, talent, and treasure to the United Way, we participate in the authentic American tradition of neighbor helping neighbor. We create stronger, safer communities populated by folks like us who simply need a hand up to reach the American Dream. Those who receive our services are transformed into those who then provide their hearts and hands in assistance to others.

I like to think of my role with our United Way as partnering with my community in replacing a life full of ‘should not’ with a life full of ‘could be.’ Could be thinking and acting and Living United creates opportunities for individual and family achievement to be healthier, safer, and smarter: we really can ‘fix stupid’ and reduce the jerk population, making Washington County an ever more wonderful place for all of us.

That’s why I ‘Live United’!

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed why we are here. And if you sit in church every Sunday, and don't get and live this simple life principle of taking care of your brother, and lifting up the least of your brothers you should feel ashamed to call yourself a Christian.

    Mike and my dad have walked this walk for years, and this blog post says it all.

    Lauren Rockwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren - I am humbled and proud to be considered along with your dad - he is 'da man!!

    ReplyDelete

33 West Franklin St., Suite 203, Hagerstown, MD 21740 | TEL 301 739 8200 | FAX 301 797 2293

Copyright 2009 United Way of Washington County MD

Site Design By High Rock Studios